Monday, December 29, 2008

Day 26 - Fronds of Summer

Well spotted, astute reader - in true "25" style, yesterday's post was a secret one, hidden somewhere in the internet. Find it, and I will find you.

I was just lured into watching half an hour of net_work, by Black20. I've seen them all many times, but I do love them. Some people I've shown them to seem less impressed; I have noticed that in many cases, people's tastes are simply poor when compared to my own. They must have other gifts.

Still, I strongly recommend you to check out net_work, if you haven't already. They're short, funny, addictive, and oddly seem to obey the inverse of the Comedy Law - the less people watching, the more you laugh.

I have been doing other things with my time. Yesterday, me and Raf drove Up North for our friends' 21st birthday party. I assume you're a southerner, reading this (do they have the internet Up North?), so I don't need to speak of the terror that fills our weak southern bellies at the thought of such a journey. After a harrowing five hour journey, I can confirm that all of our worst suspicions were true.

As you drive through the blasted heaths of the midlands, away from the metaphorical bosom of the south, the skies begin to darken. Thick, black smog fills the air, covering everything it touches with a faint odour of coal and gravy. Strange, feral creatures scamper by the side of the motorways, constructing primitive talismans to ward off our "Devil Carriage". After a few brushes with some of the grimmer aspects Up North (including an eternity spent in Rochdale), we arrived in Burnley.

Luckily, my superior navigation skills brought us immediately to our friends' house. Yes, there were many northerners present, but they were the good kind. If only their dependency on pies could be reduced, they could even be rehabilitated in the south. A minibus took us to the Party Palace [it wasn't actually called that - it was a pub owned by their aunt, but I forget the name. It should be called Party Palace, anyway.] We talked, laughed, ate, drank, merried, danced, and watched amazing card tricks. They hadn't hired a magician, it was a just a cool guy there who knew card tricks.

Back to the house for chats and jaffa cakes, slumber, and then a drive back Down South. It was an enjoyable trip Up North, and a great party. Still, those lands are just too harsh for my pampered sensibilities.

So Happy Birthday Vicky and Helen, and thanks for the hospitalities. Thanks especially to Molly, whose enthusiastic face-licking caused me to feel like a saliva-based Two-Face for part of the night.

(Molly is a dog, I hasted to add.)

No comments: