Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Day 41 - Grand and Terrible, Terrible Objects

My second day back in Oxford, and I really like Blues music. The two are not related, but I'm being conservative with my sentences. Blues is perfect both as background music when I'm doing something else, or when I actually want to listen to music. The refrain (melody? tune? I don't know the terms) is usually repetitive, but not in a boring way. More in a trance, relaxing way, that just opens you up more to the music.

Similarly with the lyrics. Most Blues lyrics are repeated often, but they're good. Some examples:

Robert Johnson:
I got ramblin
I got ramblin on my mind
I got ramblin
I got ramblin all on my mind
Hate to leave you my baby
but you treats me so unkind

BB King:
Everyday, everyday I have the blues
Ooh everyday, everyday I have the blues
When you see me worryin' baby, yeah, it's you I hate to lose

John Lee Hooker:

When I first thought to hobo'in, hobo'in,
I took a freight train to be my friend, oh Lord
You know I hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd, hobo'd,
Hobo'd a long, long way from home, oh Lord

OK, so they don't look great down on the screen. But you gotta listen, man, you gotta listen to the whole song. You gotta get the blues in the soul, in the gut. That's where you 'preciate it proper.

No comments: