Sunday, March 08, 2009

Day 95 - Nullstellensatz

The title of this blog post refers to the Nullstellensatz ('theorem of zeros') of David Hilbert, which I had never heard of before today, but have seen referred to in three different sources within the last 6 hours. Mathematical concepts are, as they say, like buses.

I have been distracted for the past half an hour by looking at websites advertising postdoctoral research positions in pure mathematics. I enjoy thinking about the future; especially when it becomes true - see this old blog post from 2004, for example. I understand this stuff now!

Well, I've forgotten what the Primary Decomposition Theorem says, but I'm sure I could learn it again very quickly indeed.

I'm back in Peterborough for the weekend, and just about to go to bed. I have played with Archie in the garden (his mouth apparently possesses unlimited destructive capabilities) and had shepherd's pie and rice pudding. Home things, you know. Lovely to be back. No more proper sentences. More words bad, less words good.

No comments: