Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day 84 - Some people ain't got the vittals

As Mike described something entirely different, my blogging lately has been "erratic at best, more erratic at worst."
Events must have been happening in my life, but my mind cannot recall them now. Me and Julia just took advantage of one of the plethora of meal offers going around at the moment, and were rewarded by poor service (nobody likes an ancient death grudge settled while you just want to pay the bill) and deeeeelicious food.

We also just watched Four Weddings and a Funeral, the highlight of which (in a sad way, of course) was the funeral scene, with the reading of W. H. Auden's Funeral Blues:

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crêpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.

No comments: