Saturday, February 07, 2009

Day 67 - Chamford vs. Holmsford

Check it out, blog at lunchtime. Alright, new goal - blog every day, during the day. Madness, they cry. It shall be done.

I'm interested in religion, and having some Christian friends and it being the religion I've had the most exposure to, I wonder about Christianity the most. There are many big questions about it that I've yet to find a satisfactory answer to. I've borrowed a book from Raf - "If You Could Ask God One Question", by Paul Williams and Barry Cooper, which provides answers to some of these questions. I'll blog with one of these, their answer, and my evaluation of it, over the next few days.

Question 1: If You're Really There, God, Why On Earth Don't You Prove It?

Their (summarised) answer: He did prove it, by sending Jesus, his son, who performed plenty of amazing miracles and made it pretty clear that he was, in fact, the son of God/God himself. We have the Bible, which records these, and this is his proof.

My objections:
1) Why only then? In fact, why only once? There are plenty on Earth today who don't believe in God, probably far more than there were then. It seems that today is more in need of a healthy boost of God proof than was Palestine, 30 AD. What would be the problem with appearing every hundred, twenty years, or even every day? I'm sure there are good reasons that wouldn't work, but they didn't mention them in the book.

2) The answer's only as good as the word of the Gospels. If everything written about the Gospels is true, then it would be pretty compelling evidence that something very powerful was at work, maybe God. I'd need some good evidence that the Gospels were reliable, however, first. I've heard that there is such evidence - please let me know!

Comments, thoughts, answers, please comment.

No comments: