Monday, July 31, 2006

Closed Windows

Right everyone - here we go.

This is (possibly) my last post on Windows on this laptop - soon (as soon as my backup DVD has finished burning), I will install Kubuntu (a distro of Linux).

I've been deliberating for a few days, and thought I might as well take the plunge. I used Ubuntu on my old laptop, which was past its prime; hopefully it will work well on this shiny new one as well. Here is my logical reasoning:

Reasons for Windows:

Compatibility
Games
Umm...

Reasons for Linux:

Fewer crashes
Fewer viruses
Geek points
Much easier for doing techy stuff (e.g. ruby, rails, mysql, svn)
Looks better
Smugness when I use console commands in front of others
More personality - it has soul!

I've found a recovery disc, so if I change my mind, I should be able to get Windows back. Hopefully.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, sweetheart, you said you'd keep this one up... pfft =)

Mine's all nice and clean and blue now.

Love.