Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Day 120 - Happiness runs in a circular motion

Happy April Fool's Day! I love my little japes, so in this blog post, there is one false fact. All the others are, as far as I know, true.

Start of Script Frenzy today! I stayed up until midnight last night, and on the bridge from the old day into the new, I paused to write a quick scene. I don't know what my script is about, or what scenes will be written, or who the characters are. I'll be thinking, however. Until then, don't ask about my script. I will write about somebody I just found out about today: Alexander Grothendieck.

Grothendieck (born 1928) is one of the leading mathematicians of the 20th century - described by one mathematician as the "Einstein of mathematics". He brought in not only new theorems, but entirely new ways of thinking about and doing mathematics. In the 50s, he pretty much reinvented algebraic geometry from the ground up, and attempted similarly ambitious schemes in many other areas of mathematics.
Since reality loves a stereotype, this brilliant mathematician is also a bit...fractured. A radical left-wing anarchist and ecological activist, he withdrew from mathematics in the 1970s to focus on his ecological and conservation interests. In 1991, he withdrew from life altogether, disappearing from his home one night, and his current whereabouts are unknown. He receives no visitors, and has withdrawn from not only the mathematical community, but the community in general, it seems.
He has written an incredible amount - many of his opuses stretch to the thousands of pages. He's written long philosophical and biographical accounts of a similar length. Seriously, look him up on Google/Wikipedia. Fascinating.

No comments: