Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Library Critic

Some of you may know this already...others may not, however, so I'll say it anyway.

I love libraries. I love books as well, but there's more to the love of the libraries than just a love of books. It's the noise (not true silence, but the most peaceful silence there can be). It's the smell, the look, the feel, of all those books, the tables, the chairs, the sheer concentrated knowledge...

I have realised that while all books are reviewed comprehensively and critically, we are sadly lacking in a similar appraisal for libraries. To remedy this, I will begin The Library Critic project: a critical account of the various libraries of the University of Oxford, with photos, anecdotes, and so on. I'm sure I will develop some sort of rating system on various aspects, but these things come with time.

Most of the libraries are (currently) out of bounds for me -- other colleges, departments, etc., but I will not let barriers or regulations slow me in my quest for library perfection!

Coming up next: Merton college's OWL Library!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Do you have to leave it at oxford libraries? i'd love you to compare the p'boro library with others, and when you visited unis you could compare their libraries (although bias might come into it). You could grow it into Tom's library university guide, for people that want to decide their uni on the quality of library - just a long-term idea

Thomas said...

Of course not -- hopefully one day I'll have a team of staff, and begin reviewing all the libraries of the world!
Start small, though...