Saturday, February 12, 2005

A Thorny Issue

My mother has returned, and last night we enjoyed a very nice takeaway chinese to celebrate. After staying up to watch World Shut Your Mouth and random TV, I staggered off to bed at about half 12. I woke up this morning at around 9, and rang Julia at 10 - assuming she'd be awake by then. Of course, she was still in bed.
Which leads me nicely to universities.

University is a thorny issue. Which university, which course? Should you go at all? We've started looking at universities at my school (earlier than most, I admit, which I approve of). Now then...

Which University?
A good one, obviously. However, it is difficult to decide which are good. Oxbridge of course - I'm applying to Oxford - but others need to be looked at for my other choices. A large part of my decisions will come do to where it is - I'm not keen on going to university in Manchester or London. It largely depends on the course, as well - I'd like to pick one good for my course, but not necessarily the best in case I'm not good enough to get in. Good ones for the Maths, I've heard, are Bath, York, Warwick. I'll have to wait till they start releasing their new prospectuses to decide in any way though.

Which Course?
Ask me a couple of months ago, I'd have said "Maths!". Ask me a month ago, I'd have said "Maths...or Maths and Philosophy!". Ask me now, and I say "Something with maths...probably."
Why the indecision? Well, I am good at maths, but am I good enough to do a three year degree course in it? Is it the one I'll enjoy the most? There are many other courses I'd be interested in - Oriental Studies, Economics, Ancient History, Theology...
It's still almost definitely maths though...but I'm keeping my options open.

Should I go to university at all?
Yes.
Of course, this is not to say that not going to university is a bad choice in general, just to me - I've always wanted to go to university, and to change my mind now would be betraying myself.

No comments: