Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 162 - Time to Accomplish

That's the title of my favourite soul song from the seventies. I just performed another case of my recent habit - typing Ctrl-S after I finish each sentence, a habit picked up by typing for too long in word processors and a fear of sudden inexplicable shutdown, destroying each sentence I fought for so long to pluck from the minds of my betters.

Well, the Cable Saga is finally at an end. The letters have been literally pouring in demanding for a resolution, so I sent a little letter of my own...to Harry. Ha ha ha ha ha! Incidentally, I swapped round the final punctuation mark of those two sentences, after I read something recently demanding that exclamation marks be used only for actual exclamations, not just shocking or noteworthy sentences. I fully support this movement - the character of a sentence should be determined by its content and vocaculary, not by some little vertical upstart!!!

When writing about the overuse of exclamation marks irony is, of course, mandatory. Otherwise other clever and smug people won't be able to feel clever and smug, defeating the point of the internet as a whole. As a part, it would still stand, but forever unsaturated. Darn, just did Ctrl-S again. And again. Luckily it actually does save it on this blogging website, which is quite useful. In some other program, however, it may be a shortcut for Scouring Your Hard Drive, so I must be careful in the future.

That's enough, you greedy word goblins.

1 comment:

Harry said...

I begin to garner suspicion that these fleeting personal references are a cynical test of my readership. But it is all too difficult not to submit to this disgusting game; to withold glee is a very sad thing indeed.

Just to surrender completely to your will, to prove that my attention is not merely restricted to a routine scan for my name, I will share an almost equally charming but rather comfortingly banal description of life's minutiae as last week's pick-of-the-week:

http://new.mylifeisaverage.com/

And an enthusiastic "hear, hear" to extending Ctrl-S functionality to all text fields - or better, a Sky+-type rolling memory-bank of all text, organised by text field origin, for the last hour, say.

P.S.: Thanks for providing closure to the Cable Saga, albeit the end of a beautiful journey.